Ashley-Edison (UK) Limited has rebranded by way of a name change to Sinalda UK Limited. Learn more >

Voltage in Guadeloupe

Last Updated: 01 March 2023


Copyright 2021 Sinalda. Permission to use this image is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to as the source.

Power Quality in Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe, an archipelago located in the Caribbean Sea, is an overseas territory of France. Like many other small Caribbean islands, Guadeloupe’s electricity supply network is vulnerable to natural disasters, fuel price fluctuations, and, as recently experienced, industrial action by power plant employees.

Power Sector in Guadeloupe

Electricity generation in Guadeloupe is primarily fueled by imported oil, which accounts for around 90% of the energy mix. The remaining 10% comes from renewable energy sources like wind, solar, and biomass. Despite the government’s efforts to increase the share of renewables in the energy mix, progress has been slow due to the high cost of installing and maintaining renewable energy systems.

The electricity supply network in Guadeloupe is operated by Électricité de France (EDF), which is a subsidiary of the French multinational energy company of the same name. EDF manages the transmission and distribution of electricity across the archipelago through its subsidiary, EDF Archipel Guadeloupe.

One of the major challenges facing the electricity supply network in Guadeloupe is its vulnerability to natural disasters, such as hurricanes and tropical storms. These events can damage power lines, transformers, and other infrastructure, resulting in power outages that can last for several days or even weeks. To address this issue, EDF has been investing in upgrading and strengthening the electricity infrastructure to make it more resilient to extreme weather events.

Another challenge facing the electricity supply network in Guadeloupe is the high cost of electricity. The archipelago has some of the highest electricity prices in the Caribbean region, mainly due to the reliance on imported oil for electricity generation. The high cost of electricity has been a source of concern for businesses and households, and the government has been exploring ways to reduce energy costs by promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy.

In terms of reliability, the electricity supply network in Guadeloupe is generally stable, with power outages mainly occurring during extreme weather events or due to equipment failures or, as recently witnessed, a result of industrial action by power plant employees. EDF has been investing in modernizing the electricity infrastructure, including the installation of smart meters and other advanced technologies, to improve the network’s reliability and efficiency.


In conclusion, the electricity supply network in Guadeloupe is vulnerable to natural disasters and the high cost of electricity due to the reliance on imported oil for energy generation. However, EDF has been investing in upgrading and strengthening the infrastructure to make it more resilient and reliable. The government’s efforts to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency could also help reduce energy costs and improve the sustainability of the electricity supply network in Guadeloupe.

Share your Views and Experiences

Every reasonable effort is made to ensure that the information provided above is accurate. No guarantees for the accuracy of the information is made. 

So we are able to keep the content updated, and actual on the ground experiences can be shared with others, please feel free to contact us.

To keep up to date on the latest News and Views on the state of global electricity supplies…

About UsSINALDA logo

All mains powered equipment requires a supply which is maintained within certain limits. Too low and the equipment will malfunction, too high and the equipment could be serious damaged. In many developed and developing economies, power demand is outstripping supply, giving rise to large voltage swings, surges and brownouts in the supply.

Whatever your national or international power supply requirements, Sinalda (UK) can ensure your equipment receives the power it needs to operate efficiently and without interruption. To learn more about Sinalda (UK) and  the power protection solutions we offer please check-out the links below:

Sinalda (UK) – The Informed Choice Voltage Stabilizers Power Line Conditioners